Is Arrowhead Plant Toxic To Humans?

The arrowhead plant is a popular houseplant for good reason. With its heart-shaped leaves, it can grow in low light and doesn’t require much maintenance. It’s also a natural air purifier that removes toxins from your home, like formaldehyde. However, if you have pets or small children, you may want to think twice before bringing this plant into your house.

Is arrowhead plant toxic to humans?

The short answer is yes, it is. Like other plants in the Araceae family, the arrowhead plant is toxic to humans and animals if ingested. It also contains irritating oxalate crystals that can cause skin irritation.

What makes this plant toxic?

The saponins found in arrowhead plants can cause skin irritation, including redness and itchiness, when touched by humans. Saponins are naturally occurring compounds found in some plants that give them a soapy taste.

The arrowhead plant contains calcium oxalate crystals, which are considered a toxin to humans and animals. If eaten, symptoms may include:

  • burning and irritation of mouth, tongue, and lips
  • excessive drooling
  • difficulty swallowing
  • vomiting
  • abdominal pain

If you’re worried about touching your arrowhead plant at all and would rather keep it out of reach entirely, try putting it up high in your home. There are plenty of beautiful hanging planters available for purchase online or at local garden centers that will keep your plant out of reach from curious kids.

Is arrowhead plant toxic to pets and humans?

The Arrowhead plant (Syngonium podophyllum) is a common houseplant due to its attractive foliage and ease of care. However, it is toxic to cats and dogs if ingested, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The arrowhead plant has been known to cause mild skin irritation if the leaves are touched. It can be mildly toxic for animals (cats, dogs, etc.) but is typically not fatal. The sap of the plant contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause burning in the mouth and throat if eaten, and some people may have an allergic reaction to this compound. Although it is not toxic enough to kill humans or pets, it can cause minor irritation, pain, swelling, and vomiting.

If you have pets or small children, use caution when growing an arrowhead plant because it contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals that may cause skin irritation. You should take precautions to make sure it doesn’t become a health hazard.

Arrowhead plants

Arrowhead plants are a species of evergreen perennial shrubs that are native to tropical areas of South America and Africa. They are often grown as houseplants and have become popular due to their ease of care and attractive appearance. The plants typically have green leaves that are arranged in a way to resemble the shape of an arrowhead. Some varieties of the plant can have colored leaves that vary from dark red to pink.

Arrowhead plants prefer moderate to bright light and average room temperatures. They need to be planted in a potting mix that has good drainage and does not like water around their roots or on their leaves. The plants should be watered when the top inch of soil feels dry to the touch.

While these plants are typically easy to care for and rarely suffer from insect infestations, they can show signs of stress if they do not receive proper light or if they are overwatered. These issues can cause the arrowhead leaves to turn yellow or brown, or die off completely.

Arrowheads grow as vines or creepers, with heart-shaped leaves on long stalks. They’re often kept as houseplants because they’re so easy to care for. These plants do best in bright, indirect light with their soil kept slightly moist at all times. They don’t need much fertilizer or repotting to thrive and can live for years in the same container.

Leave a Comment